Thursday, January 10, 2008

NCAA Bowl Recap Part 1


Just got home Tuesday night. I was on the road for nearly two weeks. Factor in the ten days I spent in Nebraska for the Holidays and I have basically been traveling for the last month. One week off and then back at it again with College Hoops. I made the trip to my fourth career Rose Bowl (I believe I'm tied with Illinois for trips to the Rose). That means four New Year's in Pasadena. I never really like LA.

Maybe it was the time I got food poisoning, maybe because my call time every New Year's Day has been 3am, or maybe it's the fact that LA is the Left Coast and is 3 hours behind everything so you never really know what time it is. You get home from work at lets say 6pm,

all the East Coast (we all know that's what really matters) sporting events have concluded. LA does have sunny skies, (the 15 minutes out of the day when the smog is somewhat clear) sandy beaches and has a reputation for being home to some of the hottest woman on the planet.
But let's face it, to ever have a realistic chance to score and have a good time, you have to be ballin (by ballin, I mean being worth over $1 million and have some face time in the news). Also, to attempt to go out and have a good time, you're gonna spend half your night driving.

With that being said, I was very happy to leave LA. The Rose Bowl was a preview to the much mistaken match ups put on by all the BCS Bowl games. USC maybe solidified it's preseason no. 1 ranking for next year. Illinois fans traveled in large numbers, but, to no ones surprise,

the Illini were faced with a much too stronger opponent. One of my favorite traditions of college football, the USC Song Girls. WOW! Year in and year out, they never change. Also, that USC fight song has a way of sticking in your head.
From LA to LA, that's Louisiana, New Orleans. What a cool little city! Between Bourbon Street and the French Quarter, you can see how it's a great tourist town, if you're the type of tourist who likes to get totally hammered! I mean, talk about blatant drunken debauchery!

The place promotes alcoholism. If you're walking down Bourbon Street without a beer in hand, no worries, somehow one will show up soon enough. The street is about I'd say 8 blocks long, who really knows though. I mean it's nothing but bars and strip clubs (I think Larry Flynt has 3 different Hustler joints there.
Sunday night, BCS Eve, was complete anarchy. I don't know the numbers, but Bourbon St. was jammed packed with Scarlet and Grey, and Purple and Gold.

It's pretty hard to believe there's a place like this in America. The best scene? All the sorry Buckeye fans who were so obnoxious and rowdy before the game, exiting prematurely looking like they just got the crap beat out of them.

No comments: